Wednesday, July 27, 2005

True love

[As ever, keep scrolling down for the translations of all the latest EZLN communiques, and you shall find them]

Yes, I have been solemnly swearing to visit Bécquer and basques, to sooth and stir the heart, but la vida is nothing if not of its own mind.

As for the outing of the odd provocateur which I had also promised, I've come up with a much finer idea, a primer of sorts, a self-help manual so that you can share in the fun. Later in the week, I hope.

But now some words about words and minds. The committing of words to memory. How could that be anything short of perfection? Committing. Words. Memory.

I started much too young, for no good reason other than it seemed as natural as breathing and laughing and running. Marvell and Hardy and Houseman and Byron and cummings and Yeats and Teasdale and much too much Wordsworth. An infinity [and I was so very entranced by infinity] of couplets and sonnets and low verse.

And it never felt odd. Just the thing for entertaining my girlfriends at slumber parties, dissolving into giggles at 'stands like harper's hoar with beards that rest on their bosom.' Then providing endless fodder for angst and first loves. Schoolgirl crushes were always 'begotten by despair,' and Fate was determined 'to iron wedges drive.'

The words provided, and provide, harbour for every rough passage - reflecting, embracing and murmuring the memories of so very many moments.

Which, however circuitously, really does lead to Bécquer.

I had two especially delightful female teachers in high school. The one taught a World Literature class and compelled us to memorize thousands of lines every semester. It was unheard of, of course, so very, very out of line with the tenor of the times. But I was ecstatic, and it was the carrot that allowed me to plow through the Iliad, the Inferno and others of their ilk.

The other lady was from San Juan. An unrepentant romantic with the thankless task of teaching first year Spanish to 40 skittish adolescents using the new "dialogue" methodology. ["Donde queda la biblioteca? Allí delante. Vas ahora mismo?" Total, unmitigated and devastating crap.].

She managed to survive the horrors of the year by unabashedly "forcing" us to memorize "Volverán las oscuras golondrinas..." By Bécquer. Conquering my heart - and life - in the process. And, knowing a kindred soul when she saw one, having me tape the poem for the edification, and practice, of the rest of the deeply bored class. And, as heaven is my witness, her name was Señora Love.

When I moved to Barcelona, frantic with need to find a flat and quickly make a new home for my son and myself, the estate agent finally found the perfect place. Of course the street was Gustavo Bécquer. 25, as I recall.

And my son, by the way, also, and also for no good reason, memorized Blake's "Tyger, tyger burning bright" when he was 4 or 5.

I still have every single word, universes of them. And they still provide constant solace, pleasure and compass.

Next, as I keep promising, we shall do, and undo, corsets. And counterinsurgents.

12 comments:

Comrada B said...

Quienes el provocateur extrano, Irlendesa? I love good mystery...

TripleJ said...

yes, we can only stand so much suspense! Tell us who he(she) is! :^)

olivebranch said...

Hi, I am a blogger, my main issue is Iraq, but I have been reading alot about Mexico and Latin America (mostly Venezuelan reform).

I am about to (next week) start studying at University here in Western Australia to become a journalist.... I intend to fly to Mexico or Latin America when i finish my studies in 3or4 years time.

Keep posting, I will read your entire blog from now back to the first post in the coming weeks, so expect to hear from me!

check out my blog

http://olivebranchoptimism.blogspot.com/

********* said...

A Do It Yourself Guide sounds like fun!

Spark said...

buenos noche irlandesa. gracias otro vez. por favor escrivas mas de tu poetica, de tu philosophia,y de tu politica. por que? por que yo quiero tu entiendre! lo siento para mi mal espanol, pero soy ingles - y yo quiero practicar! hasta.. Marcos B de Global Nation en Inglaterra

Roberto Iza Valdes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dotmotor said...

I find your thoughts very interesting. Perhaps your readers might find online email marketing interesting.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a safelist marketing site/blog. It pretty much covers safelist marketing related stuff. Plus you can advertise to billions using our safelist marketing tools.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Roberto Iza Valdes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
adult dating said...

Hey there! hows it going? I was blogging around the net when i came across your blog...very interesting stuff.

Regards
single online dating

travel package guide said...


adventure travel Travel Cheap! Travel Well! Outsmart The Multi-Billion Dollar Industry?

Travel Like The Rich and Famous. Discover How A Pauper Travels Like A King!

Is your travel experience measured by the limit on your credit card?
Is your family vacation yet another 2 weeks at the in-laws because they have a "pull-out" sofa?
Have you ever had to fly unexpectedly for an emergency and ended up spending the monthly food budget?

What if you could instantly have, all in one place right in front of your eyes: all the travel hot spots, unknown travel secrets and special travel industry deals? This is knowledge that would take you years to learn on your own. Travel Cheap adventure travel

Iza Roberto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.