Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Pomp and circumstance

[just keep scrolling down for all the translations of the latest EZLN communiques]

Perhaps a little bit of everything tonight. News and gossip, poetry and propaganda. Sweeping the parlour, as it were.

In Mexico, the most central issue of debate - where debate appears [I have found it in La Jornada and in the Frente comments]- has been the insistently non-electoral nature of the Sixth Declaration. Or, as I shall henceforth refer to it [as they are so doing in Mexico], The Sexta. Such a lovely ring.

The question is - can one be, in any way whatsoever, party to a political party? The Sexta says no, and the words come as no surprise. The groundwork was layed with the Stelae, a series of deeply detailed and occasionally lyric papers written by Marcos in 2003. Then further punctuated with the odd naming of names communiques.

I remember when the naming of names put one in mind of Acteal, where they still name the names every December 22. And I remember that I recalled, and recall, Yeats' words:


...Too long a sacrifice
Can make a stone of the heart.
O when may it suffice?
That is Heaven's part, our part
To murmur name upon name,
As a mother names her child..


The exponentially nuanced expositions on this subject - the degree to which one might have any truck with political parties or official governments - are certainly better left to finer minds than mine. And, after all, purity is a good and lovely thing. We have only to ask Caesar's wife.

And, speaking of Caesar's spouse, we shall have to await a further communique to discover if the same criteria apply in the Intergalactic arena. I cannot imagine that Fausto Bertinotti, the Venice commune, many of the Basque Country compas and Danielle...among many others...are to be excluded.

As for me, I have never actually voted in any of those countries where I'm legally able to do so. I have, however, worked - fiercely and unabashedly - in two campaigns. In one the candidate was assassinated, and in the other he was elected. An eloquent dichotomy. Or just the usual enigma.


3 comments:

TripleJ said...

>> As for me, I have never actually voted in any of those countries where I'm legally able to do so.<<

May I be so bold as to enquire why?

In Australia you have no choice, voting is compulsory. Something I strongly disagree with, as choosing whether to vote or not should remain one's freedom.

But even if it weren't compulsory, I think I would probably vote anyway. So I'm genuinely curious why you decided not to get counted, while at the same time working very hard behind the scenes.

miguel said...

I would imagine that any anarchist who rejects the hierarchial structure (of which government is a classic example) might not want to, by voting, inadvertently support or contribute to the system they wish to abolish.
I'm an anarchist and I vote, so I admire anyone who can be consistent :-). There's a lot to learn from those people

********* said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.